Are you going on your first date and wondering what you’ll ask your potential partner?
You’re not the first person to feel anxious about an upcoming date.
First dates are often filled with excitement, uncertainty, and awkward silence.
It’s crucial to have a list of interesting first date questions to break the ice and keep the conversation flowing between you.
So what exactly do you say to someone you’re meeting for the first time?
It can be tricky to decide if you should focus on yourself and tell them everything about your life or if you should ask them personal questions about their own life.
Whichever way you choose to go you’re at the risk of oversharing or intruding on someone’s privacy, which isn’t the way a perfect date should end.
And you may find yourself struggling to strike a balance while still being present on your date.
The good news is that if you have a collection of great date questions, you can prevent many unpleasant situations that may occur during your outing.
To leave a good first impression, it’s important to keep your questions light, fun, and straightforward.
Avoid trying to go too deep because not everyone will be comfortable with sharing sensitive details about their life with a complete stranger.
It’s also wise to stay away from controversial topics like religion, politics, and finances on the first date.
When you’ve gained someone’s trust, they’ll reveal a lot more things about themselves.
So until you get to that stage in your relationship, here are some good first date questions to ask your new love interest:
50 BEST FIRST DATE QUESTIONS TO BREAK THE ICE
Aside from the usual what’s your favorite food or music question, you’ll also find a mix of flirty, fun, and deep first date questions to ask someone.
Use your discretion and pick the ones that resonate with your personality. And don’t forget to breathe and have fun on your date.
FUN FIRST DATE QUESTIONS TO ASK
If you’re looking for funny first date questions to ease the nerves, lighten the mood, and make you laugh, ask your potential partner these questions:
1. What are some random fun facts about you?
2. How would you describe yourself in three words?
3. Is there any food you don’t eat?
4. Are you more of an indoors or outdoors person?
5. What was your childhood nickname?
6. How many siblings do you have?
7. Do you have any personal hobbies?
8. What hobbies would you explore if you had the time and money?
9. How do you spend your leisure time?
10. What’s your favorite place on Earth?
11. If you could travel anywhere right now, where would you go?
12. What would your perfect vacation look like?
13. What is your idea of a perfect date night?
14. Would you rather read books or watch movies for the rest of your life?
15. What are some good movies you’ve seen recently?
16. Who’s your favorite actor or actress?
17. Are you a morning person or a night owl?
18. What’s one household chore you dislike?
19. What’s your favorite season of the year?
20. What do you miss about life 10 or 20 years ago?
21. What do you never get tired of?
22. What’s one aspect of dating you hate the most?
23. What kind of music do you enjoy listening to?
24. What’s the most ridiculous thing you’ve ever done in the name of love?
25. What is one piece of clothing you would never wear outside?
DEEP FIRST DATE QUESTIONS TO ASK
These conversation starters are a bit deep but they won’t strike the wrong chord on your date.
Use them when you’ve asked all the surface-level questions and have exchanged enough pleasantries.
26. If you could have a superpower what would it be?
27. What inspired you to pursue your current career path?
28. What does a typical day look like for you?
29. Do you prefer to work in a team or alone?
30. What would you do if you had enough money to not need a job?
31. Have you ever been in a relationship before?
32. Why did you break up with your former partner?
33. What qualities are you looking for in a romantic partner?
34. What’s one thing you can never tolerate in a relationship?
35. In your opinion, what are the 3 most important things in a relationship?
36. What do you do when you feel sad, anxious, or stressed?
37. How do you unwind at the end of the day?
38. What’s on your bucket list?
39. What did you want to be when you were growing up?
40. What accomplishments are you proud of as an adult?
41. Who has been the most influential person in your life?
42. What’s one thing people are always surprised to learn about you?
43. Is there anything you’re really passionate about?
44. If you were a celebrity, what would you want to be famous for?
45. What’s the worst advice someone has given you?
46. What are your top 3 favorite things to talk about?
47. What’s something you want to learn or get better at?
48. What’s the most spontaneous thing you’ve ever done?
49. If you unexpectedly won $1000, what would you spend the money on?
50. What is something you’ve always wanted to do but are too afraid to try?
It’s normal not to know how to start or where to draw the line when it comes to first date questions, especially when you’re nervous or socially awkward.
However, you’ll be on the safer side if you stay on the surface and do not go too deep with your conversations.
After all, you want to have fun with your potential partner and leave a good impression.
Plus, you’ll have plenty of time to get to know each other when you start dating officially.
So your focus should be on testing the waters to see if you vibe well together and if you like their personality.
Don’t take the date too seriously but avoid messing things up as much as you can.
Ask more of the light-hearted, fun first date questions, give them time to respond, and don’t be distracted by your phone.
You’ll be able to recall more details if you pay attention and stay present throughout the date.
Overall, remember you’re not going for a business meeting or a job interview, so dress casually, put on light makeup, and enjoy the dating experience.
About The Author
Jennifer Dagi is happily married to her best friend and the love of her life.
As a relationship coach, she is passionate about helping couples build healthy and happy relationships.
She strongly believes communication and intimacy are the most important ingredients for building a successful relationship.
Join her on a fabulous journey to improve your love life one step at a time and don't forget to subscribe for weekly blog updates.