When you’re struggling with a failing marriage, you may think that all hope is lost.
In that moment of desperation, the best thing you can do as a Christian is to lean on God who is capable of making everything perfect in his divine timing.
If you’ve done everything in your power to make your marriage work and you’re not seeing any positive results, let go and trust in God completely.
This means not worrying excessively about your problems or desperately looking for ways to fix your broken marriage.
It’s time for you to stop fighting and just surrender to the power of God because He alone can turn things around for your good.
Psalms 46:10 says, “Be still and know that I am God” so don’t be anxious or worried about anything that’s going wrong in your marriage.
Believe that the Lord of Hosts is with you and he is in control of every single aspect of your life.
Here are some of the most powerful Bible verses for a struggling marriage.
BEST BIBLE VERSES FOR A STRUGGLING MARRIAGE
When you’re struggling to fix your marriage, it can feel as if no amount of work can save it.
The good news is that nothing is impossible for God to do. Use these empowering Bible verses to remind God of his unfailing promises to you and your spouse:
1. Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that in due time he may exalt you. Cast all your anxieties on him, for he cares about you.— 1 Peter 5:6-7
2. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” I will all the more gladly boast of my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.— 2 Corinthians 12:9
3. Let not loyalty and faithfulness forsake you; bind them about your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. So you will find favor and good repute in the sight of God and man.— Proverbs 3:3
4. Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful; it is not arrogant or rude. Love does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.— 1 Corinthians 13:4-7
5. For we are not contending against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world rulers of this present darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.— Ephesians 6:12
6. When you pass through the waters I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you .— Isaiah 43:2
7. Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful; and let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.— Hebrews 10:23-25
8. Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose trust is the Lord. He is like a tree planted by water, that sends out its roots by the stream, and does not fear when heat comes, for its leaves remain green, and is not anxious in the year of drought, for it does not cease to bear fruit.— Jeremiah 17:7-8
9. For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with might through his Spirit in the inner man, and that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have the power to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.— Ephesians 3:14-19
10. I have said this to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.— John 16:33
COMFORTING BIBLE VERSES FOR A TROUBLED MARRIAGE
Dealing with a lot of marriage problems at the same time can be overwhelming especially if you don’t have any support system.
If you’re confused or frustrated about what to do next, turn to God with prayer and thanksgiving. Here are some uplifting Bible verses for marriage troubles:
11. Give ear to my prayer, O God; and hide not thyself from my supplication! Attend to me, and answer me; I am overcome by my trouble.— Psalms 55:1-2
12. God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear though the earth should change, though the mountains shake in the heart of the sea; though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble with its tumult.— Psalms 46:1-3
13. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.— John 14:27
14. For he will hide me in his shelter in the day of trouble; he will conceal me under the cover of his tent, he will set me high upon a rock.— Psalms 27:5
15. Hear my cry, O God, listen to my prayer; from the end of the earth, I call to thee when my heart is faint. Lead thou me to the rock that is higher than I; for thou art my refuge, a strong tower against the enemy.— Psalms 61:1-3
16. The Lord is my portion,” says my soul, “therefore I will hope in him. The Lord is good to those who wait for him, to the soul that seeks him.— Lamentations 3:24-25
17. For God alone my soul waits in silence, for my hope is from him. He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken. On God rests my deliverance and my honor; my mighty rock, my refuge is God.— Psalms 62:5-7
18. Put not your trust in princes, in a son of man, in whom there is no help. When his breath departs he returns to his earth; on that very day his plans perish. Happy is he whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the Lord his God, who made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them; who keeps faith forever; who executes justice for the oppressed; who gives food to the hungry.— Psalms 146:3-7
19. Rejoice always, pray constantly, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.—1Thessalonians 5:15
20. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my head with oil, my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.— Psalms 23:4-6
UPLIFTING BIBLE VERSES FOR A FAILING MARRIAGE
Watching your marriage gradually fall apart before your eyes is depressing and it can feel as if everything you do makes it a lot worse.
Don’t give up for help is near. God has promised that he will never leave you nor forsake you. Stay strong and use these Bible verses to strengthen your marriage:
21. Many waters cannot quench love, neither can floods drown it.— Song of Solomon 8:7
22. May the God of steadfastness and encouragement grant you to live in such harmony with one another, in accord with Christ Jesus, that together you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.— Romans 15:5-6
23. We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies.— 2 Corinthians 4:8-10
24. May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.— Romans 15:13
25. The LORD is my strength and my shield; in him my heart trusts; so I am helped, and my heart exults, and with my song I give thanks to him.— Psalms 28:7
26. Fear not, for I am with you, be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will hold you with my victorious right hand.— Isaiah 41:10
27. Count it all joy, my brethren, when you meet various trials, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives to all men generously and without reproaching, and it will be given him.— James 1:2-5
28. No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your strength, but with the temptation will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.— 1 Corinthians 10:13
29. Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me, for in thee my soul takes refuge; in the shadow of thy wings I will take refuge, till the storms of destruction pass by.— Psalms 57:1
30. Save me, O God! For the waters have come up to my neck. I sink in deep mire, where there is no foothold; I have come into deep waters, and the flood sweeps over me. I am weary with my crying; my throat is parched. My eyes grow dim with waiting for my God.— Psalms 69:1-3
ENCOURAGING BIBLE VERSES FOR MARRIAGE PROBLEMS
Every marriage has its own problems. But sometimes, the troubles seem to outweigh the good times, and this is when most married couples want to give up because it’s hard to stay together.
If you need strength to keep pushing, here are empowering Bible verses for couples in hard times:
31. Have no anxiety about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, will keep your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.— Philippians 4:6-7
32. Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.— Matthew 11:28-30
33. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.— 2 Corinthians 1:3-4
34. In my distress I called upon the Lord; to my God I cried for help. From his temple he heard my voice, and my cry to him reached his ears.— Psalms 18:6
35. I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.— Romans 8:18
36. And in that day his burden will depart from your shoulder, and his yoke will be destroyed from your neck.— Isaiah 10:27
37. The Lord your God is in your midst, a warrior who gives victory; he will rejoice over you with gladness, he will renew you in his love; he will exult over you with loud singing as on a day of festival.— Zephaniah 3:17
38. Cast your burden on the Lord, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved.— Psalms 55:22
39. Though I walk in the midst of trouble, thou dost preserve my life; thou dost stretch out thy hand against the wrath of my enemies, and thy right hand delivers me.— Psalms 138:7
40. Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!— Psalms 31:24
HELPFUL BIBLE VERSES FOR A BROKEN MARRIAGE
What happens when you’ve been fighting for so long and it looks like the battle is lost?
You may feel like throwing in the towel, giving into depression, or going your separate ways. If you’re feeling stuck, use these Bible verses for a broken marriage:
41. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, with all malice, and be kind to one another, as God in Christ forgave you .— Ephesians 4:31-32
42. For I hate divorce says the Lord the God of Israel, and covering one’s garment with violence, says the Lord of hosts. So take heed to yourselves and do not be faithless.— Malachi 2:16
43. Do nothing from selfishness or conceit, but in humility count others better than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests but also to the interests of others.— Philippians 2:3-4
44. Let no evil talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for edifying, as fits the occasion, that it may impart grace to those who hear.— Ephesians 4:29
45. Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassion, kindness, lowliness, meekness, and patience, forbearing one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.— Colossians 3:12-14
46. See that none of you repays evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to all.— 1 Thessalonians 5:15
47. Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled; for God will judge the immoral and adulterous.— Hebrews 13:4
48. Do not say, “I will do to him as he has done to me; I will pay the man back for what he has done.— Proverbs 24:29
49. Be angry but do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, and give no opportunity to the devil.— Ephesians 4:26-27
50. But because of the temptation to engage in immoral acts, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband. The husband should give to his wife her conjugal rights, and likewise the wife to her husband. For the wife does not rule over her own body, but the husband does; likewise the husband does not rule over his own body, but the wife does. Do not refuse one another except perhaps by agreement for a season, that you may devote yourselves to prayer; but then come together again, lest Satan tempt you through lack of self-control.— 1 Corinthians 7:2-5
POWERFUL BIBLE VERSES FOR MARRIAGE RESTORATION
No matter how bleak your situation seems, do not be discouraged for there is nothing God cannot do.
All that is required of you to get rid of the spirit of defeat is to trust in God for the complete restoration of all that you’ve lost. Here are some good Bible verses for marriage healing:
51. Thus says the LORD, the God of David your father: I have heard your prayer, I have seen your tears; behold, I will heal you.— 2 Kings 20:5
52. With a freewill offering I will sacrifice to thee; I will give thanks to thy name, O LORD, for it is good. For thou hast delivered me from every trouble, and my eye has looked in triumph on my enemies.— Psalms 54:6-7
53. And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, establish, and strengthen you.— 1 Peter 5:10
54. Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not rely on your own insight. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord, and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones.— Proverbs 3:5-8
55. Therefore confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed.— James 5:16
56. The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is thy faithfulness.— Lamentations 3:22-23
57. But Jesus looked at them and said to them, “With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.— Matthew 19:26
58. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.— Mark 11:24
59. Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him, and he will act.— Psalms 37:4-5
60. The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want; he makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters; he restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.— Psalms 23:1-3
Sometimes when you’re going through difficult times in marriage, you may think that your spouse is the enemy.
But this isn’t always the case for the Bible says that we wrestle not against flesh and blood.
In times like this when all hope seems lost, the best way for a married couple to restore their marriage is to use God’s word as a weapon in the spiritual battle which is unseen to human beings.
Resist the temptation to engage in sin as payback or to keep a record of wrongs done by your spouse.
In a healthy marriage, couples stick together through tough times because love covers us all.
If you want to have a successful marriage with your spouse, avoid using harsh words when you argue or fight.
And don’t compare your marital relationship with others because there are no perfect marriages.
If you’re feeling defeated or hopeless, this is the perfect time to hold on to the word of God and trust him for restoration.
Using Bible verses to strengthen a marriage is a powerful way to ask for God’s divine intervention and healing.
I urge you to remain in the unity of the spirit and work to maintain the bond of peace through consistent prayer, regular Bible study, and singing spiritual songs.
Use the Bible verses for marriage listed in this article to call on God daily.
You can also reach out to Christian marriage counselors or enroll in marriage classes to gain new knowledge about building a healthy relationship with your spouse.
No matter how challenging it gets, stay strong and have hope in God’s everlasting love.
1 Peter 4:8 instructs all married couples to “hold unfailing your love for one another since love covers a multitude of sins.”
The road to a happy marriage will not be an easy one, but with God by your side, you will surely prevail.
About The Author
Jennifer Dagi is happily married to her best friend and the love of her life.
As a relationship coach, she is passionate about helping couples build healthy and happy relationships.
She strongly believes communication and intimacy are the most important ingredients for building a successful relationship.
Join her on a fabulous journey to improve your love life one step at a time and don't forget to subscribe for weekly blog updates.