Marriage is ordained by God and it’s important to turn to Him when you’re getting ready to make a lifelong commitment to your significant other or when you’re seeking a life partner.
By studying the Bible and meditating on God’s word daily, you’ll be more aligned with His promises to married people, the obligations of being a spouse and what to do when you’re single.
In this article, you’ll find good Bible verses for singles, encouraging scriptures on waiting for marriage and Bible verses about being single and lonely.
Whether you’re praying for a life partner or are about to get married, these scriptures can help you prepare for marriage spiritually.
If you’re looking for encouragement, inspiration, or guidance, here is a list of Bible verses for singles who want to get married.
BIBLE VERSES FOR SINGLES WHO WANT TO GET MARRIED
There is a season for everything under heaven and when the time comes to walk down the aisle with the love of your life, it may feel like a daunting task to be carried out alone.
Luckily, you can receive wisdom on how to be a good spouse directly from the Bible and if you follow the instructions diligently, you’ll enjoy a happy marriage with your partner.
Instead of relying on family members for guidance, draw inspiration from the following Bible verses for getting married:
1. And the Lord God said, “It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.— Genesis 2:18
2. For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh. So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate.— Matthew 19:5-6
3. Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral.— Hebrews 13:4
4. Now to the married I command, yet not I but the Lord: A wife is not to depart from her husband. But even if she does depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband. And a husband is not to divorce his wife.— 1 Corinthians 7:10-11
5. And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery.— Matthew 19:9
6. He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the Lord.— Proverbs 18:22
7. An excellent wife is the crown of her husband, but she who causes shame is like rottenness in his bones.— Proverbs 12:4
8. Nevertheless let each one of you in particular so love his own wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.— Ephesians 5:33
9. Husbands, likewise, dwell with them with understanding, giving honor to the wife, as to the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life, that your prayers may not be hindered.— 1 Peter 3:7
10. But I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.— 1 Corinthians 11:3
11. Wives, likewise, be submissive to your own husbands, that even if some do not obey the word, they, without a word, may be won by the conduct of their wives.— 1 Peter 3:1
BIBLE VERSES FOR SINGLES SEEKING MARRIAGE
Marriage marks the beginning of a new chapter in a person’s life and if you haven’t tied the knot yet, you may be tormented with a melancholic desire to hasten up the process.
However, all good things come to those who wait and patience is a virtue you need to cultivate.
If you’re desperately seeking marriage, pray about your heart’s desire and remind God of His unfailing promises with these Bible verses for singles who want to be married:
12. For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.— Jeremiah 29:11
13. Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!— Psalms 46:10
14. It is good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless, because of sexual immorality, let each man have his own wife, and let each woman have her own husband.— 1 Corinthians 7:1-2
15. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.— Matthew 6:33
16. The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, to the soul who seeks Him. It is good that one should hope and wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord.— Lamentations 3:25-26
17. For with God nothing will be impossible.— Luke 1:37
18. Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him; do not fret because of him who prospers in his way, because of the man who brings wicked schemes to pass.— Psalms 37:7
19. Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another; not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord; rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer; distributing to the needs of the saints, given to hospitality.— Romans 12:10-13
20. Who is this King of glory? The Lord strong and mighty, the Lord mighty in battle. Lift up your heads, O you gates! Lift up, you everlasting doors! And the King of glory shall come in.— Psalms 24:8-9
21. For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord will give grace and glory; no good thing will He withhold from those who walk uprightly.— Psalms 84:11
BIBLE VERSES FOR PRAYING FOR A LIFE PARTNER
As a single person who is trusting God for a life partner, it can seem as if the odds are stacked against you and it’s even more difficult when all your friends are tying the knot each year.
Even though you’re truly happy for them, you may find yourself asking, “God, when will it be my turn?” No matter how hard you try to console yourself, that intense longing for a life partner can never go away.
If you’re lonely and in despair, these Bible verses about waiting for the right person can fill your heart with hope:
22. Search from the book of the Lord, and read: not one of these shall fail; Not one shall lack her mate. For My mouth has commanded it, and His Spirit has gathered them.— Isaiah 34:16
23. But you, be strong and do not let your hands be weak, for your work shall be rewarded!— 2 Chronicles 15-7
24. Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.— Matthew 7:7
25. Therefore do not cast away your confidence, which has great reward. For you have need of endurance, so that after you have done the will of God, you may receive the promise: for yet a little while, and He who is coming will come and will not tarry.— Hebrews 10:35-37
26. Blessed is that man who makes the Lord his trust and does not respect the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies.— Matthew 40:4
27. But if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with perseverance.— Romans 8:25
28. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.— Philippians 4:6-8
29. Therefore I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them.— Mark 11:24
30. Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart.— Psalms 37:4
31. Houses and riches are an inheritance from fathers, but a prudent wife is from the Lord.— Proverbs 29:14
BIBLE VERSES ABOUT DELAY IN MARRIAGE
When you’ve been single for a long time, it’s normal to worry that you may never find a life partner and that you’ll end up alone for the rest of your life.
Of course, this isn’t true because it’s never too late to get married and you’re not too old to find someone special. You can still meet someone who will sweep you off your feet and make your life more fulfilling.
If you’re struggling to keep your hope alive, increase your faith with these encouraging Bible verses for singles waiting for marriage:
32. No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.— 1 Corinthians 10:13
33. In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ, whom having not seen you love.— 1 Peter 1:6-7
34. These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.— John 16:33
35. Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.— Isaiah 41:10
36. Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.— Proverbs 3:5-6
37. And not only that but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope. Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.— Romans 5:3-5
38. The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart and saves such as have a contrite spirit.— Psalms 34:18
39. And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.— Galatians 6:9
40. But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.— Isaiah 40:31
BIBLE VERSES ABOUT BEING SINGLE AND LONELY
Being single can be lonely and challenging but it’s not the end of the world. Look on the bright side—you’re full of potential that you can use to impact lives, so don’t let your singleness or marital status define you.
Having a spouse won’t make you feel fulfilled if your life is purposeless. Instead of worrying excessively and waiting anxiously for a partner, use this time to pursue your passion and establish a strong relationship with God.
If you’re looking for validation or guidance, read these Bible verses for lonely singles to remind yourself of how special you are.
41. For I wish that all men were even as I myself. But each one has his own gift from God, one in this manner and another in that. But I say to the unmarried and to the widows: It is good for them if they remain even as I am; but if they cannot exercise self-control, let them marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.— 1 Corinthians 7:10-11
42. For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother’s womb. I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvelous are Your works, and that my soul knows very well.— Psalms 139:13-14
43. I will betroth you to Me forever; yes, I will betroth you to Me in righteousness and justice, In lovingkindness and mercy; I will betroth you to Me in faithfulness, and you shall know the Lord.— Hosea 2:19-20
44. How can a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed according to Your word. With my whole heart I have sought You; Oh, let me not wander from Your commandments!— Psalms 119:9-10
45. I suppose therefore that this is good because of the present distress—that it is good for a man to remain as he is: Are you bound to a wife? Do not seek to be loosed. Are you loosed from a wife? Do not seek a wife.— 1 Corinthians 7:26-27
46. I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.— Romans 12:1
47. For there are eunuchs who were born thus from their mother’s womb, and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven’s sake. He who is able to accept it, let him accept it.— Matthew 19:12
48. His disciples said to Him, “If such is the case of the man with his wife, it is better not to marry.— Matthew 19:10
49. God sets the solitary in families; He brings out those who are bound into prosperity, but the rebellious dwell in a dry land.— Psalms 68:6
50. Brethren, let each one remain with God in that state in which he was called.— 1 Corinthians 7:24
Even though it’s advisable to embrace your singleness and focus on pursuing your passion, it can be difficult to stay without a companion for a long time.
During those tough times when loneliness comes creeping like a thief in the night, obtain comfort from the scriptures.
I’ve given you a list of encouraging Bible verses for singles that you can use to remind yourself of God’s love when life gets hard.
Meanwhile, make sure you put yourself out there by signing up for good dating sites and connecting with other single people to increase your chances of finding a life partner.
Single life can be tough especially when you really want to get married and you’re surrounded by people who constantly remind you of your biological clock.
I encourage you to remain steadfast in your prayers, keep your mind on the things of the Lord, don’t give up hope, and trust God for the fulfillment of your heart’s desires at the right time.
For your own benefit, create a list of some of your favorite Bible verses to refer to often and read good books on how to build happy marriages so you can prepare yourself beforehand.
There is no such thing as delay when it comes to the Lord’s affairs, so have faith in God’s plan for your life and give him your undivided devotion during this period that you’re still single.
At the appointed time, the Lord of Hosts will answer your prayers and give you a good reward for your faithfulness.
Whether you’re a single woman or an unmarried man who is hoping on God for a future spouse, don’t let your singleness weigh you down but rather use it for good and remember that God loves you just the way you are.